Raeza handles a wide range of commercial and corporate litigation and arbitration matters, with a specialization in shareholder and company disputes. Prior to joining this law corporation, he practiced as a director at Drew & Napier LLC with an eminent Senior Counsel.
Raeza’s particular areas of focus are contractual termination procedure and quantum of loss analysis. These are fundamental but often overlooked or misunderstood aspects of commercial disputes. With a background in mediation, Raeza is also able to offer more comprehensive advice to clients, particularly as to varying options in alternative dispute resolution to achieve cost-effective solutions.
Raeza has experience in disputes over a range of sectors including construction, telecommunications, energy, infrastructure, shipping and real estate. This includes tackling complex and demanding proceedings such as freezing orders (Mareva Injunctions), search orders (Anton Piller orders) and adjudications under the Security of Payment Act. He has appeared as lead or co-counsel at every level of court in Singapore, as well as in international arbitration.
His principal clients are prominent individuals, and regional corporations. However, Raeza is committed to facilitating access to justice and acts as pro bono defense counsel under the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme while also taking on “low bono” engagements.
In 2015, Raeza was part of the Drew & Napier team that won the first international edition of the Essex Court Chambers-Singapore Academy of Law Moot Competition. Raeza also teaches advocacy to lawyers-in-training as part of the Bar Course.
Raeza accepts mediation appointments and engagement as instructed counsel.
Some of the matters Raeza has handled are set out below.
- Shareholders Dispute: Representing the beneficial minority shareholder of a prominent Singapore Fitness Group in disputes with a foreign listed majority shareholder.
- Shareholders Dispute: Represented two high net-worth Indonesian businessmen resisting claims of breaches of director’s duties in relation to an oil and gas joint venture between an offshore private equity company and a SGX-listed company.
- Maritime accident in the Hainan Strait: Represented a Norwegian company worth €6 billion in a US$20 million ad-hoc arbitration against a Chinese public-listed company for project delays arising from a tug and tow accident in the Hainan Straits. The matter involved detailed technical analysis of seaworthiness of the vessels involves. Swiss law and Chinese law applied.
- Coal Mines Development Project in Indonesia: Represented an Indonesian businessman claiming more than US$295 million from subsidiaries of an Indian public-listed energy company in a SIAC Arbitration. The dispute revolved around breaches of “best efforts” obligations relating to the development of infrastructure of coal mines and the subsequent sale of coal. This dispute arose out of the clamp-down of “transfer-pricing” by the Indonesian government in 2011.
- Satellite Telecommunications (Maritime) Equipment and Network: Represented a Filipino telecommunications conglomerate in an ICC arbitration against American/British MNCs following the failure to supply VSAT equipment and global C-Band satellite coverage to support a crew welfare communications system.
- Dispute over Misappropriation of Source Codes: Represented former IT employees of an energy information software provider against claims in the High Court of misappropriation of confidential information and conspiracy to injure. This matter required intricate analysis of software source codes and involved the setting aside of an Anton Piller order.
- Construction of Three Cement Silos: Represented a Malaysian MNC in dispute with an Australian sub-contractor regarding inefficiency and failure to abide by designs for three cement silos. The multi-million dollar project resulted in three adjudications under the Security of Payments Act, and a High Court Suit.
- Landlord & Tenant Dispute: Represented a prominent Singapore real-estate group in its claims against a defaulting tenant in relation to an 18 year lease valued at $27.7 million of 18 units in a new medical suites building at Farrer Park.
- Contributing Editor to Singapore Civil Procedure 2015
Appointments / Memberships:
- Chairperson – Board of Directors, Pangdemonium Theatre Company Limited (An Institution of Public Character)
- Chairperson, Continuing Professional Development Committee of the Law Society of Singapore
- Associate Mediator, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Committee Member, ASEAN Law Association (Singapore)
- Committee Member, Advocacy Committee of the Law Society of Singapore
- Committee Member, International Relations Committee of the Law Society of Singapore
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- April 2021 – Litigation Conference (Workshop) 2021 (The Law Society of Singapore)
- April 2019 – Litigation Conference 2019 (The Law Society of Singapore)